Create an account

melband.com.au

MELBAND: Forums

:: AUSBAND :: :: View topic - Please help me modify Gretsch guitar tone control
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Please help me modify Gretsch guitar tone control

Post new topic   Reply to topic    :: AUSBAND :: Forum Index -> Music Tips, Hints & Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
3cyltrbo

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 7:40 pm    Post subject: Please help me modify Gretsch guitar tone control Reply with quote

I picked up a nice Gretsch guitar just like this one , except mine says it is model G5422T.

I am turning it into a jazz box and have been experimenting with it. After trying different stuff, I have replaced the neck pickup with a Lollar Charlie Christian single coil.

This Lollar pickup really changed the sound from the twangy Gretsch thing into a crisp, warm, snappy jazzy sound that I like. I mainly only play the neck pickup. But I like also being to switch to the other pickup which has that twangy rockability thing going when I want it which is cool. Like 2 different guitars.

But the thing is that when playing this neck pickup, the sound I like comes when setting the guitar's tone control about 96.7% down. That last 5% of the knob turn is where all the action is and you can hear the harmonics coming and going with small travel in the knob. There is a sweet spot that I like. But it is very touchy and hard to get back to the same place when recording.

So I would like to modify the tone control so it is not so sensitive and uses the knobs travel more effectively than having all the change happen at the very end. I would also like to have it have a mark and indicator so I can get back to the same spot. I want it to sound wide open when the knob is turned the other way so that the twangy pickup sounds the same as it does now.

My tech is doing the mods but says that he would have to just experiment a lot and asked if I can find out what value capacitor and or pots to use as a starting point.

Can anyone suggest a starting point? What should my tech start with to open up this control?
GAGA
Gig Master
Gig Master

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check if the pots are A or B. If they are B (linear) then change to A which is audio taper and have a much better taper for Audio.

However....Another pot that really is good and specifically your issue is an "emerson" pot. I would try the emerson pot and keep the current capacitor as you like the tone of it already. But as your tech said, it may take some experimentation if you are something really specific as passive circuits are kind of unpredictable to a large degree with this stuff. It's easy enough to hook up some different capacitors with alligator clips externally and decide that way after you sort out the pot taper you like.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    :: AUSBAND :: Forum Index -> Music Tips, Hints & Information All times are GMT + 11 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: