Create an account

melband.com.au

MELBAND: Forums

:: AUSBAND :: :: View topic - What's your biggest struggle as a Musician in Australia?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What's your biggest struggle as a Musician in Australia?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
LCNZ

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 10:23 pm    Post subject: What's your biggest struggle as a Musician in Australia? Reply with quote

Hey all.

I'm really interested in getting a handle on what most people who are musicians in Australia struggle with?

Is it motivation, Practice, Management, business stuff, or something else?

Really keen to get a discussion going and find out all about what people have issues with here in Australia. There seems to be a lot of talk about mental health issues at the moment, but I think there is more to it than that.

Keen to get a dialogue going!

All the best
Luke
ausgrey

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:53 pm    Post subject: discovery Reply with quote

i find its hard to get discovered
LCNZ

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 8:32 am    Post subject: Re: What you struggle with as a Musician in Australia Reply with quote

Hi Ausgrey

out of interest, what platforms have you tried to get discovered?
I ask this only out of curiosity and a desire to help.

How many gigs have you done, for example in the past year?

Do you have a link to some of your music I could check out?
Thanks!
Luke
ausgrey

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 5:24 pm    Post subject: Youtube channel Reply with quote

hi luke i do videos for youtube at http://www.youtube.com/ausgrey and heres some links too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0BB2lAExNU - Symptom of the universe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KQ3-TqHhOw - Before the dawn
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20vqHbwjz_A - Thank god for the bomb
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9b7BGXpgsuw - Sails Of Charon
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QqQ8tt2tLfw- Fool Like you
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uILiiwek5jI - Napoleon Bona Parts 1 and 2
Marni

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:22 am    Post subject: Band troubles Reply with quote

I've always struggled finding like minded musicians. The chemistry and energy within a band is so important.
Whenever I've found a good band it's never lasted.
I've also always struggled with self confidence. I have doubted my abilities in the past to the point where I have voluntarily yet reluctantly left bands.
I have also given up on opportunities or stuffed up major opportunities due to fear of failure and rejection.
I seem to come up with plenty of ideas; inspiration is not hard to find...
But pursuing an idea to fruition is what I have never really been able to do.

I guess many of my major influences have been alternative and therefor many musicians I've worked with haven't been familiar or interested. There is also that fear of selling out. Wanting to be successful to a point but not wanting to compromise original creative integrity to get there.
agilbz
Rehearsing
Rehearsing

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I agree finding musicians you click with in a specific genre is a huge battle.

But in all honesty is its like hitting hour head against a brick wall. I know alot of people say iv done everything I can and most of them are just saying that but to those that really do give it all their hard work, their bank account, their nights with the kids/partner and even their friends to try and get the band any kind of recognition just dosnt cut it. And I find that disgusting we make art (music) and it would be nice to be recognized for it just like a painter at an exhibition. The band I'm in that u won't name coz that would be unfair work so dam hard we give it our all and spend alot of money trying to reach people's ears so they can decide for themselves ifrom they want to give us a go but yet I bet if I told you our band name you wouldn't know us lol I think the music industry is runned by media. Such as record labels that want to control what people listen too and other media outlets work close with them.

I'm still searching for a way to break it once again for the local scenes there seems to be a ton of different ways but not all will still work so it's all about finning your own way and I think I might be spending all of my music career working that out lol

Last edited by agilbz on Tue Nov 26, 2019 11:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Redlich
Rehearsing
Rehearsing

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

agilbz wrote:
Yes I agree finding musicians you click with in a specific genre is a huge battle.

But in all honesty is its like hitting hour head against a brick wall. I know alot of people say iv done everything I can and most of them are just saying that but to those that really do give it all their hard work, their bank account, their nights with the kids/partner and even their friends to try and get the band any kind of recognition just dosnt cut it. And I find that discussing we make art (music) and it would be nice to be recognized for it just like a painter at an exhibition. The band I'm in that u won't name coz that would be unfair work so dam hard we give it our all and spend alot of money trying to reach people's ears so they can decide for themselves ifrom they want to give us a go but yet I bet if I told you our band name you wouldn't know us lol I think the music industry is runned by media. Such as record labels that want to control what people listen too and other media outlets work close with them.

I'm still searching for a way to break it once again for the local scenes there seems to be a ton of different ways but not all will still work so it's all about finning your own way and I think I might be spending all of my music career working that out lol

I get what you're saying, but why is recognition so important? In my opinion, the best part about playing gigs is when a crowd is really getting in to what you're playing, and you can feed off your energy, so I agree with you there. Other than that though, who cares? The reason we make music is because we like making music. Obviously I don't know you or your band from a bar of soap, but in my experience when you focus on creating the best music you can and putting on the best show you can, combined with playing less shows but putting more in to each of them you will not only get the best results but get the recognition you seek too.

If you don't sell any cds or merch, or people don't like your facebook page, try not to care so much, that shit doesn't matter. Playing music isn't about being successful, it's about playing music.
agilbz
Rehearsing
Rehearsing

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah i agree i love playing shows its half the reason i do what i do lol and if nobody heard our music i can still say that im satisfied. Thats as a musician but as a business man i try to reach for high goals for the band i want us to have great experiences not just playing local shows at the same venues. I just believe we can be more than just a local band and i kinda like the struggle it motivates me even more. I just wish that the world could just listen to a few local bands out here not just the band im in. There are amazing bands here and they blow me away and i just get the feeling the world is missing out by not hearing them. So to be reconised for me just means more reach to the public.
Redlich
Rehearsing
Rehearsing

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

agilbz wrote:
yeah i agree i love playing shows its half the reason i do what i do lol and if nobody heard our music i can still say that im satisfied. Thats as a musician but as a business man i try to reach for high goals for the band i want us to have great experiences not just playing local shows at the same venues. I just believe we can be more than just a local band and i kinda like the struggle it motivates me even more. I just wish that the world could just listen to a few local bands out here not just the band im in. There are amazing bands here and they blow me away and i just get the feeling the world is missing out by not hearing them. So to be reconised for me just means more reach to the public.

You're certainly right with that. I was actually talking to a friend recently about just how many amazing bands we'll never hear. It's certainly tough as an original band to push yourself forward at times, but perserverence and hard/smart work really is the only key.
LCNZ

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is great!
Don't come on here for a week or so and come back to all the excellent discussion above, thanks guys!

Seems like there are a few issues then, in a nutshell:

1. Finding like minded musicians
2. Bringing musical ideas to fruition/ keeping bands together
3. getting recognition (if you want it)
4. navigating the business end/

On the last one, the band I was in (for almost a decade) in NZ always talked about getting beyond what our bass player called 'Friend Rock'! That is, reaching people who didn't know you, but could potentially be fans.

I think management is SO important too. The band I was in had 3 top ten singles in NZ and toured the USA twice, but still struggled to make a living.

Let's keep the discussion going, I'm dead keen to help anyone out with ideas, with a fresh perspective from literally being in the country for 2 months. [/u][/i]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    :: AUSBAND :: Forum Index -> Music Forum All times are GMT + 11 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: