Create an account

melband.com.au

MELBAND: Forums

:: AUSBAND :: :: View topic - Genres: Post-WTF?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Genres: Post-WTF?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Samus
Not Quite Rock God
Not Quite Rock God

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 7:45 am    Post subject: Genres: Post-WTF? Reply with quote

I don't understand the use of the prefix "post" (even that sounds like an oxymoron) to describe a genre. Post-hardcore. Post means after. So, after hardcore. Well, wouldn't that make it NOT hardcore anymore? And if it were hardcore, then it would simply be hardcore. Post-Punk. Well, that would mean it was after punk so it's not punk anymore, so literally it's "Punk after Punk", which would make it, well, punk. Seems cyclic. Just seems dumb to me.

How many sub-genres of genres are there anyway? What happened to "Metal" and "Rock" and "Country" and "Rap" and "Jazz"? Does anybody REALLY give a crap about these labels? I don't. But holy crap, there are some real heated debates about whether this band is this and that band is that.
miko0s

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anthony Fantano makes a good vlog about this topic:
"What makes a genre"
https://youtu.be/DyvURtL9--g

I think labels are fantastic if it helps a person find music that they love. If it closes people's minds to music they would've otherwise liked, then it starts to become a negative thing.

Post-Hardcore itself is a vague term, as people who listen to the so-called genre dispute which bands are real post-hardcore and which bands aren't. For example Scary Kids Scaring Kids vs Cursive, At The Drive In vs Underoath. Etc. Genre rules can be respected or disprespected, its really up to the individual. I can immediately tell if someone is ignorant about
music by the way they talk about it. If you don't listen to these genres or use the labels, then that's fine for you. Genre classification is a social communicative thing that people use. I think more ridiculous genres are things like Witch House, Vaporwave, and whatnot.

I'm a pretty big music nerd, having watched countless documentaries, read books, articles and seen youtube videos on bands like: NWA, Marilyn Manson, George Harrison, Anthony Keidis, Burzum, Mayhem, Gorgoroth, John Mayer, Lady Gaga, Beyonce, Melody Hardot, Tupac, Michael Jackson, Sigur Ros, Faust, Can, Neu, Yoko Ono and others.

I don't neccesarily have one perspective on this thing as I can see both sides of the coin. Genres should be thought of as a continuum and not black and white. Although if I hear an electropop musician call themselves disco funk then I'll cringe. Or if pop musician call themselves lounge and jazz. Or if an an rnb musician calls themselves neo-soul, or if a Bossa Nova musician called themselves Hardbop,

Innaccurate labelling of music is a pet peeve of mine. It will turn me off discussing an artist if someone is ignorant of the genre.

That's my take on the topic!
Chep
Rehearsing
Rehearsing

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's as dumb as you do. Let's face it, if your playing "hardcore" with some new influences then you're still playing hardcore. Maybe post re inventing the wheel would be more appropriate. I reckon if you want to recycle genre's with older roots go for it but at least call it what it is. Better still go write something original that doesn't fit in a scene and give the world something it hasn't heard much of before.
paulieg
Rehearsing
Rehearsing

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the prefix "post" means after, which means that something new grew out of the preceding thing and so is shaped by it and influenced by it.
RacNRock

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chep wrote:
Better still go write something original that doesn't fit in a scene and give the world something it hasn't heard much of before.

Said perfectly there my friend, Not only giving the world something it hasn't heard but to talk about a get triggered about genres Cheesy Grin

Led Zeppelin is my favorite example give me some sub-genres if you have enough internet. I'm guessing back then everyone was more focus on taking drugs and just listening but also bands of modern times

Tool
Muse
The Mars Volta

Some great music.
scott45

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i don't have one necessarily one perspective on this thing, i've been watching countless documentary on legendary artists since childhood.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    :: AUSBAND :: Forum Index -> Music Forum All times are GMT + 11 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: