Create an account

melband.com.au

MELBAND: Forums

:: AUSBAND :: :: View topic - Is Rock Music Dead?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is Rock Music Dead?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Roddy
Gig Master
Gig Master

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 4:18 pm    Post subject: Is Rock Music Dead? Reply with quote

Wrote a blog on this subject, check it out, see what you think.

http://www.rodwhitfield.com/blog/is-rock-dead/
VicBitter
Rehearsing
Rehearsing

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice blog mate, well done. Interesting to see people like Courtney Barnett taking the world by storm by just just banging out some good old guitar, bass, drums with her band- great songs though.
Roddy
Gig Master
Gig Master

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VicBitter wrote:
Nice blog mate, well done. Interesting to see people like Courtney Barnett taking the world by storm by just just banging out some good old guitar, bass, drums with her band- great songs though.

Thanks mate! It's funny you mention Courtney, I know her personally. Her partner, another great singer/songwriter Jen Cloher is an old school friend of my missus. They were in our house having dinner a few months ago.
Diter
Gig Master
Gig Master

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As one of my former work colleague once said, " Thanks for the stating incredibly obvious... Mr. Green THE merely obvious would be just enough... Mr. Green "
ClassicRockGuitarLessons

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great blog post Roddy! Smile

There are some great points you have made.

We are defiantly not living in the "golden age" of Rock music anymore.

Though that is undoubtedly the case, great art forms never truly wain completely in popularity. I have noticed a profound renaissance of classic rock music, especially psychedelic rock music over the last couple of years.

I remember talking to an older guitar playing friend of mine who told me that even back in the 60's and 70's rock music (or "guitar music" as it was also known) was always on the outskirts of mainstream pop culture.

He said that people get worried because rock music doesn't seem to be all over commercial airwaves or as well known and popular as commercial music, but he said that it never really was, and that was part of its appeal.

Rock music was what the "switched on" crowd listened to, it had a cult following and was the kind of thing that your parents, teachers and mainstream pop culture hated.

People realise this and falsely presume rock music to be "dead" when in reality this couldn't make it more ALIVE!

And this has been going on for as long as rock music has existed.

I remember reading The Beatles first demo recording was rejected by a record company because "guitar bands are on the way out", as well as the members of AC/DC saying that people doubted they would get anywhere because guitar music was waining in popularity.

Rock music will always remain possibly the most important form of music of the 20th century because of the profound musical influence it has had on the way that songs are written and instruments are played (not to mention the equipment and recording techniques it helped to create).

And (at the risk of sounding hippy dippy) it is a spirit just as much as it is a musical genre.

Any form of music can be executed and performed with the energy and spirit of rock n roll Smile

I've written a couple of blog posts myself about similar subjects, I would love to get your opinion on them Smile

http://classicrockguitarlessons.com/category/guitar-lessons/
Rehearsing
Rehearsing

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My daughters favourite song is "Cocaine". She's 10
ClassicRockGuitarLessons

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So Long as it's not your daughters favourite pass time! :S
Lol jokes ;)

I love hearing things like that! Smile

It just goes to show that good music is always good music, no matter how long ago it was made or how young the person hearing it is.

There is a whole new generation of kids and teens getting into rock music all over the world for that very reason.

There are 14 year olds learning to play the guitar all over the world right now, picking up their first guitar magazine and getting turned onto players like Hendrix and Page and getting into bands like AC/DC, Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple, Guns N Roses, Kiss etc.

I've even had conversations with 10 year olds about guitar players like Slash, Angus Young, Jimi Hendrix, Jimmy Page, Eddie Van Halen and casual chats about bands like The Rolling Stones because they've been turned onto them through Guitar Hero.

Rock music has never been more accessible and the growing trend of computer based music (the very thing that most people fear will "kill" rock n roll) is only strengthening the love and need for it, as well as the respect for it as an organic, instrument based art form that requires skill and dedication to play.
ProgRocks
Melband Demigod
Melband Demigod

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was dying from 1982 and passed away 1985. 31 year anniversary Razz
RacNRock

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It Never dies, as previous blogger wrote it just seems that way when you get older, every now and then and big rock band will break out, but Rock music has and always will lurk in the shadows.
udarimo
Gig Ready
Gig Ready

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:45 am    Post subject: Expressive Reply with quote

Rock music is expressive that's why people love it and it has some dynamic and not too subtle like chairs which I do happen to love a lot but it is certainly expressionistic
Post new topic   Reply to topic    :: AUSBAND :: Forum Index -> Music Forum All times are GMT + 11 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: