Create an account

melband.com.au

MELBAND: Forums

:: AUSBAND :: :: View topic - Do I need a Re-amp box/solution?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Do I need a Re-amp box/solution?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sunova_beetch
Gig Ready
Gig Ready

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 6:25 pm    Post subject: Do I need a Re-amp box/solution? Reply with quote

in the middle of recording a demo/EP - all tracks have been completed through digital interface and I want to process 4 bars of a bass track - no VST plugin yet has come close to re-creating the sound of a Sovtek Green Russian Big Muff that bass player uses live. I have a Presonus Firepod 10 that has line outs - my idea was to play the pre-recorded bass track, route it through one of the TRS outputs in to the Muff and back in again to capture clean signal through effect. But... my hunch is that the outputs are designed for line level effects (I take this to mean rack gear not stomp boxes looking for a high impedance input) - here's the blurb from website manual;
Line Inputs/Preamp Outputs. The FIREPOD features ¼” TRS balanced Send and Return jacks on
Channels 1 and 2. These jacks are labeled as Preamp Output (SEND) and Line Input (Return). These
connectors will accept either balanced (TRS – Tip Ring Sleeve) ¼” cables or unbalanced TS (Tip Sleeve)
¼” cables. These connectors allow the use of external processors such as reverbs, de-essers, limiters,
EQ’s, etc. Simply connect the Preamp Output jack, balanced or unbalanced to the input of the external
processor. Then connect the FIREPOD’s Line Input jack to the output of the external processor. The signal
is now routed out of the FIREPOD, into the external processor, then back into the FIREPOD. The final,
processed signal will be available to record now. The Line Input can also be used as a standard line level
input for devices that do not require pre-amplification (such as a CD player, drum machine, sampler and
etc.).

am I wasting my time driving over to get stompbox (an hour there and back) - do i need a re-amp box to make this work? Oh Melband gurus I look to thee in my hour of need...
Foxwelian
Rehearsing
Rehearsing

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 6:51 pm    Post subject: By degrees.. Reply with quote

Hi there. Did you try this out or is the question still in the ether?

My suggestion is to try it with the Muff, as your quote from the manual clearly states it will work with unbalanced cables. There is a fair chance that it would sound better with a re-mp device but I suspect it would be a question of quality of sound, amount of gain needing to be applied etc, rather than it simply not working.
ftdrummer
Rehearsing
Rehearsing

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, you need a reamp box or a passive DI in reverse in order to impedance match properly. Then you will need another DI or HI-Z input on the interface for the return signal (if you're not micing a cab).
Foxwelian
Rehearsing
Rehearsing

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 10:51 am    Post subject: Proharmonic Reply with quote

The Missing Link Mark II http://www.proharmonic.com/products.htm is a worthy contender, as are products Radial Engineering.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    :: AUSBAND :: Forum Index -> Pro-Audio All times are GMT + 11 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: