Create an account

melband.com.au

MELBAND: Forums

:: AUSBAND :: :: View topic - Album Release - digital only?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Album Release - digital only?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    :: AUSBAND :: Forum Index -> Music Tips, Hints & Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BigCol

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 1:00 am    Post subject: Album Release - digital only? Reply with quote

My band (which has been largely dormant for at least 2 years) has finally finished its latest EP. It's been 7 years since we last released anything and since then, everyone seems to have disposed of their CD players.

We're not exactly the Rolling Stones LOL, we're just a bunch of mates having some fun. We have a decent following of friends that will support us.

Back in 2013 we were able to sell about 100 CDs in the first week, and then another 50 or so over the next few months. It paid for the recording/mastering. before that we did marginally better, but i'd expect similar sales ... except no-one has CD players!

We recently signed up to CD Baby to put our back catalogue on Spotify, itunes etc

So, I'm thinking... don't produce a CD and just do a digital release (saving on production costs) and maybe charge $10-$20 at our launch that includes a free download?

In the past, our launches have been free entry (we get paid ABOUT $300 to play at the venue) and then we sell heaps of CDs. Not sure if it'd work now, though hitting up friends for $20 entry (as distinct from $20 for a CD) seems stiff.

Anyone have insights on the new digital music world?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    :: AUSBAND :: Forum Index -> Music Tips, Hints & Information All times are GMT + 11 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: