Create an account

melband.com.au

MELBAND: Forums

:: AUSBAND :: :: View topic - Looking for small budget, small venue audio solution advice
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Looking for small budget, small venue audio solution advice

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Terry_Towelling

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 12:37 am    Post subject: Looking for small budget, small venue audio solution advice Reply with quote

Hi there:

I have a Schertler Unico specs below:
https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/schertler-unico-classic

I have a low-key, small venue gig coming up where there is no p.a and hiring one will make it not viable. I was looking to pair the Schertler with a p.a speaker and was wondering if that would so the job for two vocal channels for the evening (and maybe an acoustic guitar on the third channel at times). Would it provide enough volume to do the job.

I am not looking for a sophisticated audiophile solution, just enough to carry vocals across a pretty small space with maybe 50 people (accompanied by drums, bass and guitar the latter of which will have their own amps obviously). I am looking to get a second hand speaker (passive or active) for less than $200 (and have seen quite a few advertised in this range) to use as an extension speaker. Am I kidding myself or is this a reasonable proposal? Any considerations or things to avoid?

Thanks for your thoughts in advance.
bernieL0max
Gig Master
Gig Master

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Am I kidding myself

Yes, I think you might be.

The situation you describe (drums, bass, guitar) will require not just a decent PA, but also decent monitors.

The model you link to features an 8" driver; this is not going to keep up with drums, bass and guitar. Maybe for your personal on-stage monitoring, but not for reaching the audience blended with the other sources. The specs and details I am looking at do not mention a powered extension speaker output for a passive extension cab. (plus the signal goes through a crossover before the power amps for bass/mid and treble)

This all means you would need to hire a powered bin anyway - why not do it properly and hire a pair for a decent front of house?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    :: AUSBAND :: Forum Index -> Pro-Audio All times are GMT + 11 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: