Create an account

melband.com.au

MELBAND: Forums

:: AUSBAND :: :: View topic - Rose Tattoo and Fractal Axe FX 3
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Rose Tattoo and Fractal Axe FX 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dlabsibob
Rehearsing
Rehearsing

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 6:17 pm    Post subject: Rose Tattoo and Fractal Axe FX 3 Reply with quote

For anyone wondering what straight ahead low gain rock sounds/tones might be obtained from new fangled digital devices - I've been using the Axe 3 for nearly a year, direct to my monitors and FOH, touring Europe and Oz, and there are bunches of videos of gigs out there on the InterWeeb and YouTube etc.

Dai Pritchard, our slide player, prefers the Kemper, which didn't work for my needs.

I love it, as do my FOH operators, other bands and, oddly, those people who pay, the punters!

Cheers,
Bob.

Last edited by dlabsibob on Thu May 09, 2019 10:55 am; edited 1 time in total
GAGA
Gig Master
Gig Master

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info Bob. Interesting as you seem to be into chasing good tones.

I use the kemper and really like it ( can't believe I do actually from being so into valve amps over the years).

Just wondering why you prefered the axe 3? I assume the fx are always going to be more advanced in the Fractal stuff. Did you try the Morgan AC20 patch in the kemper? That one alone was worth the $$$.
dlabsibob
Rehearsing
Rehearsing

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I may have tried the Morgan profile - I'm not sure....... But, in general, I found the lack of serious tweakability after the profile to be restrictive for my purposes. I like digging deep into the extended parameters of the Axe 3 (I have built a few and modified many amps, so this is both fun and educational).

So far, I've not used any FX for gigging. At home I use them, but all my stuff with the Tatts is absolutely bone dry. Dai uses delay in a couple of solos.

A bit of background: I have used the Kemper and many third party profiles for extended periods of time, and have also owned the previous Axe FX' 1 and 2 (since 2009). I find the Axe 3 a zillion miles ahead of the 1 and 2 in terms of what I need to hear and experience.

Cheers!
Bob.

GAGA wrote:

I use the kemper and really like it ( can't believe I do actually from being so into valve amps over the years).

Just wondering why you prefered the axe 3? I assume the fx are always going to be more advanced in the Fractal stuff. Did you try the Morgan AC20 patch in the kemper? That one alone was worth the $$$.
fender-picker
Rehearsing
Rehearsing

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the other end of the spectrum, I've regularly used a humble Zoom MG50 stomp box amp sims through monitors and FOH for gigs, and even recording, with a few pedals to add colours, and it is a great workhorse.

I will however one day convince my wife, that something like the Axe system is a worthwhile household investment.
GAGA
Gig Master
Gig Master

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dlabsibob wrote:
I may have tried the Morgan profile - I'm not sure....... But, in general, I found the lack of serious tweakability after the profile to be restrictive for my purposes. I like digging deep into the extended parameters of the Axe 3 (I have built a few and modified many amps, so this is both fun and educational).

So far, I've not used any FX for gigging. At home I use them, but all my stuff with the Tatts is absolutely bone dry. Dai uses delay in a couple of solos.

A bit of background: I have used the Kemper and many third party profiles for extended periods of time, and have also owned the previous Axe FX' 1 and 2 (since 2009). I find the Axe 3 a zillion miles ahead of the 1 and 2 in terms of what I need to hear and experience.

Cheers!
Bob.

GAGA wrote:

that sounds cool and the AXE does seem to be very tweakable like you say. I guess after a lot of tube rolling and speaker swapping I really needed a break from tweaking. I haven't even opened the Kemper manual yet after using the Kemper live for 80% of my gigs for a year now. I had a look at one of your youtube clips at a soundcheck or something. The fractal sounded great, Id never heard one played with those more classic/lower gain tones.
GeoffMison
The Boss
The Boss

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing Bob.
Rehearsing
Rehearsing

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GeoffMison wrote:
Thanks for sharing Bob.

My pleasure!

Technology is our friend!
(Sometimes.................. :-) )
Post new topic   Reply to topic    :: AUSBAND :: Forum Index -> Music Forum All times are GMT + 11 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: