Create an account

Pony Music Rehearsal Studios

MELBAND: Forums

:: AUSBAND :: :: View topic - Feedback advice
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Feedback advice

Post new topic   Reply to topic    :: AUSBAND :: Forum Index -> Music Tips, Hints & Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
speedy
Gig Ready
Gig Ready

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 7:31 pm    Post subject: Feedback advice Reply with quote

need some advice from you tech guitar gear nerds....I'm playing an ESP Horizon through an Orange TH-30 utilizing a ISP Decimator. I'm pushing the amp volume to about 3 o'clock, the gain at about 12 o'clock and Decimator gate at about 2 o'clock.

This standing alone I have no issues with feedback. I want to use my Maxon OD pedal to give it a bit more of a dirty/crunch/boost.

Soon as I add this to the mix, I get feedback galore which is killing me. I've tried run the decimator through the fx loop and front of the amp but I'm still having the same issue, nothing resolved

Any advice, help, direction would be much appreciated. It just seems to me the Maxon OD doesn't want to play which bums me out as I love the sound combined, just can't withstand the squeal
VicBitter
Rehearsing
Rehearsing

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ISP is a noise gate, not a feedback suppressor. You would set the ISP threshold level to suit where you want to cut the buzz and hiss while you're not playing the guitar, once the gate opens up when you start playing, its your guitar with a cranked amp and OD pedal(I suspect on high gain) that you hear squealing.
You need to sit down and work out the optimum gain structure across all devices of your rig to control the feedback. Maybe pull the amp main volume down, and the amp gain down a bit for starters and use the OD pedal gain control to dirty your sound but keep its volume control around half way. Get the sound you want, then turn up the amp volume control to get the room level you want unless it starts taking off, if so dial it back a notch.

Good luck!
speedy
Gig Ready
Gig Ready

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks VB, not a bad drop by the way!

Thanks for the advice. I feel it's cause the amp is only a 40 watter, i'm pushing it pretty hard at rehearsal, if I had a 100 watt TH i'd suspect it might eliminate the issue possibly. I have a feeling the cranked amp is the primary issue but could be wrong. Don't have the issue when use my 5150

I've only got the OD pedal at barely 7 o'clock in terms of level which makes me wonder....Even when I back the gain off the amp to 11 o'clock, still squeals. Soon as I take the pedal out of the mix, no dramas.

Thanks again mate. I'll try what u said and have a bit more of a play around with it but fear the volume may be too low pre squeal

Cheers!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    :: AUSBAND :: Forum Index -> Music Tips, Hints & Information All times are GMT + 11 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: