Create an account

Open Mic @ Pony Music

MELBAND: Forums

:: AUSBAND :: :: View topic - What's your biggest struggle as a Musician in Australia?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What's your biggest struggle as a Musician in Australia?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
agilbz
Rehearsing
Rehearsing

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LCNZ wrote:
This is great!
Don't come on here for a week or so and come back to all the excellent discussion above, thanks guys!

Seems like there are a few issues then, in a nutshell:

1. Finding like minded musicians
2. Bringing musical ideas to fruition/ keeping bands together
3. getting recognition (if you want it)
4. navigating the business end/

On the last one, the band I was in (for almost a decade) in NZ always talked about getting beyond what our bass player called 'Friend Rock'! That is, reaching people who didn't know you, but could potentially be fans.

I think management is SO important too. The band I was in had 3 top ten singles in NZ and toured the USA twice, but still struggled to make a living.

Let's keep the discussion going, I'm dead keen to help anyone out with ideas, with a fresh perspective from literally being in the country for 2 months. [/u][/i]

You had 3 top ten singles and toured the US ! I know you might be in struggle street financially but dude surely that's a dream come true ! I prey for that kind of out come lol

Anyway bands on that level just have to keep going and not stop. The moment you have a break you loose everything real quick. I agree that managment is really important. I manage our band and it's turned into a full time job but I need help with all this work and sleepless nights iv had Im still not 100% sure I'm doing everything I can to be "successful" after all the work I have done I believe iv laI'd down the foundation for us and now it's just a matter of getting our music heard or handed to the right hands. Who are those right people ? I got no clue.... but I'll have to find out who they are and I guess that's the struggle. I have a Lil team to help and that's great but they don't have all the answers.. just not sure where to start but I guess I'll just need to cue up some sleepless nights and knuckle down and do some hard research.
Scoot1960

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I agree - finding fellow musos that you click with on a musical level AND a human level is quite rare. In over 30 years of playing in bands I must say honestly there was only 2 bands that were exceptional ( in my ears anyway ).
That and actually making a living off it is quite hard. I stayed "playing music" as a profession for only 2 years of that 30. Always needed a day job also to pay the bills. There are so many talented bands out there and unfortunately if you don't get the door opened so to speak you basically do it for fun.
I did it for the fun 1st and foremost but the $ certainly help lol.
Scoot1960

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh and I forget to mention - I don't really get along with people who have big egos. That can be the downfall of many a musical relationship and has been in my experience. It also stops the learning process. Yes you have to have some sort of ego and certain level of confidence to play live and walk the walk but it must be kept in check.
piano_vox

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this is an old message, but I really felt the need to vent here, so to speak. The hardest struggle for me thus far, has to be the fact it’s so difficult to meet anyone who really wants to have a go at it, but also understands that we’re (or even simply ‘I’) aren’t professionals, and we need to work at it to get to that level. The amount of snobbery and ‘ghosting’ I’ve encountered is extraordinary, when all I want to do is have a go at both writing and playing some music.
awesomebass

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The amazingly arrogant people who I have been in bands with before and completely devalued my contributions. Just because I don't write songs doesn't mean I don't deserve full writing credit. This is especially as my bass lines add something amazing to songs.

Also I found it really tough to convince people with inferior people and management skills that I deserve to be given the role of band leader.
BennyMc

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:28 pm    Post subject: Musical Quandries Reply with quote

I have met many great people through the medium of music & creativity in general. Music is a kind of subculture that one can immerse yourself in when a teenager etc. I have also met many tedious nut jobs in bands.
I believe that Australian's generally don't value their artists to nearly the same degree as USA / Europe do. All our big acts had to move away to break into the realm of "real job / proper muso". It smacks of tall poppy syndrome & is still pervasive to this day e.g. if it's from somewhere else it's better.
Melbourne is about as good as the music culture gets in Oz & I am constantly blown away with new songs / bands on PBS / 3RRR.
So....keeping one's perspective, confidence & taste is a constant battle for musos. Do I follow my own path and absorb all of my influences or try to go with whats trendy at present.

It's always better than being an accountant though
piano_vox

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 10:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Musical Quandries Reply with quote

BennyMc wrote:
I have met many great people through the medium of music & creativity in general. Music is a kind of subculture that one can immerse yourself in when a teenager etc. I have also met many tedious nut jobs in bands.
I believe that Australian's generally don't value their artists to nearly the same degree as USA / Europe do. All our big acts had to move away to break into the realm of "real job / proper muso". It smacks of tall poppy syndrome & is still pervasive to this day e.g. if it's from somewhere else it's better.
Melbourne is about as good as the music culture gets in Oz & I am constantly blown away with new songs / bands on PBS / 3RRR.
So....keeping one's perspective, confidence & taste is a constant battle for musos. Do I follow my own path and absorb all of my influences or try to go with whats trendy at present.

It's always better than being an accountant though

Australians don't like taking the time to experiment or cultivate, nor do they like it when you want to try something that is deemed outside of the current trends, which explains the utterly lacklustre music scene in Australia. Sure, one or two might be impressive and you'll hear them on the radio, but there's not exactly a great gamut to be found. I agree with your comment in general.
Josh100_3

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

its because the only way to "make it" in Australia is to suck up to Triple J's fickle taste of the week.
TheApocalypse

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just my two cents after having some odd decade of experience in the biz.

Number one, everyone has to be on the same page. As a band, you are a team. So early up during a formation stage, Bands need to work out with each other if you're either a business making tunes to make money to live off or you're a team of musicians who wanna play music for fun.
whatever it is you all choose, there is no wrong or right. But all members must be on the same page. Then when you've got that clear next thing bands need to be is....

Number Two: Happy.
Happy, fulfilled and valued in the roles. Teams work on communication, teamwork and sharing the workload. Being a naturally creative mob, you want to be having fun in what you do. Easily, It's one of the major factors people leave bands. they're unhappy with something. That could be a result of all sorts of things, Musical Direction, Post Gig Stuff, Timeline of events, outside commitments, Decisions, Input, Creativity, Drugs, whatever.

and Third I reckon is, The Australian Platform does suffer from both a Tall Poppy Syndrome and a lack of culture too. People don't like seeing people succeed in something they themselves are trying to do. It sucks, when you've been grinding all these years, and someone who has done less practice than you makes it as a big star. There is a massive stroke of luck need to get noticed, We all know it, we've all felt it too. But we don't celebrate others success, we envy them. But that's more so with the culture unfortunately.

you'll find people wishing to promote other bands and artists as long as theres something in it for them which is ok in some instances, but think about how in America people go to see bands at venues because the old school culture of just wanting to see bands and discover. We kinda had that here for a while but until the smoking laws came in, I think it took a big chunk of punters out and it disrupted that culture. Also understandably Venues needed to survive so they would mainly book for bands who had an established following so that way when people attended, it was massive numbers therefore money by the door and people buying drinks made good money. But bands just getting started got left behind ...

How many times are you asked "How many people can you bring..."

Fast forward a few years later, Those bands with massive followings break, split or whatever. and the only bands left over doing gigs are bands who never had a chance to play with major bands, missing out on exposure to those big crowds, as a result. venues die off because no one is attending venues...

I always remember the SLAM Rallys and people saying "Support australian music" or whatever, but they don't have to be jsut attending gigs, there really should have been some push towards radio stations and etc to have them play more Australian made content during work hours.

Cause the ultimate thing. Exposure.

No one even knows Australian Bands exist. You can name the biggest named band in your area right now and respectfully they will draw a big number of people. That being said, I congratulate any band who can fill out the corner hotel or whatever with their own hard work and commitment but deep down regardless who they are, you'll always find someone who goes "whos that?" and thats the catch.

We're too busy playing to our selves and thats a limited audience.
IT sucks, I know but doing some history, you'll see the change in music trends over the years, the 70s, the 80s, the 90s, and so on.
People's changes in taste happens over and over. So if you want to "make it" just chuck on the radio for about 15 minutes. Try to ignore the ads if you can. and have a listen to the templates of music out there.

Otherwise, just make sure you've having fun in whatever you are doing. And you will have already made it.

I could write more, but I'm meant to be working at home today. lol, Sorry for the long reply. but yeah, something i've noticed over the years. I love music, I miss playing too but I don't feel bitter or anything, Its just how it is. Not saying its impossible either, jsut my two cents of what i've observed. While I'm here... Anyone wanna do some heavy metal with video game sound effects? I need a guitarist and drummer. pm me. hahaha
Ultra_Mega
Rehearsing
Rehearsing

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

finding like minded musicians.

**** who waste your time.

people who are not serious about making music and people who dont have any musical ambitions or goals and think "whoa that's too much" because you are and do.

people who want to meet at coffee shops and "talk" about forming a band...

influences.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    :: AUSBAND :: Forum Index -> Music Forum All times are GMT + 11 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: