Create an account

Pony Music Recording Studio

MELBAND: Forums

:: AUSBAND :: :: View topic - Open Mic Night Question
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Open Mic Night Question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    :: AUSBAND :: Forum Index -> Music Tips, Hints & Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RichieMB

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 11:28 am    Post subject: Open Mic Night Question Reply with quote

Hi my name is Richie

I have noticed that on facebook muso pages that open mics are being advertised as a audition for paid gigs at the venue. Does anyone have any personal experience with this? i am cynical and it seems like a dodgy way to get people to play at your venue.
Redlich
Rehearsing
Rehearsing

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think it's dodgy at all. I've never done open mics much myself, but they tend to be geared towards inexperienced players who want to get up on stage, maybe for the first time, and give it a go. It's a good way to introduce yourself to the venue and show what you can do. If they offer you a gig from there what's the harm in that?
benfranklin
Rehearsing
Rehearsing

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Redlich wrote:
I don't think it's dodgy at all. I've never done open mics much myself, but they tend to be geared towards inexperienced players who want to get up on stage, maybe for the first time, and give it a go. It's a good way to introduce yourself to the venue and show what you can do. If they offer you a gig from there what's the harm in that?

....and the venue gets a free nights entertainment! It's hard enough being a muso as it is. Don't agree with it. Sorry.
davel176

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You get to have a free rehearsal/test run and the venue gets to hear if you can play the songs on your demo live without autotune and multiple takes/edits
FretlessEric
Gig Master
Gig Master

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They're usually run on quiet nights anyway. I can't see a problem, it's a transition to getting out there with no pressure or hassle. Rock on!
RichieMB

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think open mics are a good way to play and work out new songs.

I just had never seen one advertised in that way. I was happy with the free beer I got. Some of the coolest people I've met have been at open mics.

Where I live if you can't travel it's one of a couple of ways to play live.

We play originals so we do a 4 hour round trip to play in the inner suburbs of Melbourne there we can play a full set and get regular gigs.

Cool to hear peoples thoughts cheers.
Redlich
Rehearsing
Rehearsing

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

benfranklin wrote:
Redlich wrote:

....and the venue gets a free nights entertainment! It's hard enough being a muso as it is. Don't agree with it. Sorry.

So what, you don't believe in amateurs not being paid for a service they're not a professional in? Please correct me if i'm wrong, but it sounds to me like you're an amateur who's pissed off he's not getting paid to play open mic nights. Obviously this is an offensive assumption but I honestly can't understand any other reason why you would feel this way.
Toon
Gig Ready
Gig Ready

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, it's one of the best ways to learn new genres, styles, improve your ear and how to adjust on the fly and learn new songs quickly.

Good for exposure too.
ellymck

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Open mic nights are great for trying out new material or those new to performing. The issue with 'some' open mic nights is they are run on nights where a paid performer would normally be playing. Open mics on Mon-Wed nights are fine to me as they get bums on seats and drinks in hands for the venue on a night that would normally be slow and gives musos a stress free opportunity to perform....win/win. On other nights however it seems like there are some venues taking advantage and they should be paying for performers.
BigLabowskie
Gig Master
Gig Master

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

open mics,Blues jams,Jazz jams their all good!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    :: AUSBAND :: Forum Index -> Music Tips, Hints & Information All times are GMT + 11 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: