Create an account

Click here to advertise on MELBAND.com.au

MELBAND: Forums

:: AUSBAND :: :: View topic - Wanted: Quality Amp - Wizard, Cornford or equal calibre.
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Wanted: Quality Amp - Wizard, Cornford or equal calibre.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    :: AUSBAND :: Forum Index -> For Sale/Wanted Items
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PowersOf
Rehearsing
Rehearsing

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RackGuy71 wrote:
Interesting. I don't bar up about my SLO's crunch channel either, as it's too much like a JMP imo! Look at the circuits in the preamp, they are highly similar. The difference between the crunch and OD in the SLO is very broad for gain and perceived volume. The OD in the SLO is incredible, except for the brightness to the point of a nail shower for ya ears.

I had a '76 JMP 2204, the difference to me is the stiffness of SLO compared to JMP/Plexi/220X. The weaker filtering/sag in Marshall's and EL34's certainly make the crunch sound more desirable.

But for headroom and cut, the SLO comes into its own imo (when the band starts).

Jeez.........buy an SD1 and smash the JMP's front end. Laughing

If you want the SLO's lead tone, maybe try an Avenger or a Jet City.

Chris.

I have an SD1. It is fun. But still different. I think that weaker filtering/sag thing is for sure part of it. Also, I do absolutely love EL34's. Hey how many guys in Melbourne have SLO's? Lol. You've all come out of the woodwork.
PowersOf
Rehearsing
Rehearsing

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GoodToGo wrote:
PowersOf wrote:
Not the type of channel switcher I was thinking of when I posted that. To me this is the problem I have...

the SLO - brilliant saturated, compressed lead tone. But from what I've heard in crunch tone it doesn't sound the way I like. I know a lot of guys say it does a grid crunch but compared to my JMP I haven't heard anything close.

The Marshall - Brilliant, open crunch sound. But I can't get it to that high gain more modern sound.

It seems to me that it's either one or the other. It's like if an amp is set up right for the high gain thing it doesn't wind back the way I like. I played a Shiva once and absolutely LOVED the tone in the higher gain sounds. Hated it in the lower gain crunch sounds.

Get an Elmwood M60 or M90 (IF you can) and try a Bogner XTC 20th. Blue and red channel do what you're after. Vintage 30s are VERY different than Creenbacks so try BOTH types before dismissing any amp as they will react and sound differently.

Still not sold? Try a Friedman BE100 with a great OD boost upfront and you're again where you want to be.

Cornfords? Great on paper but fail in delivery.

I've actually being watching a few clips online with the 20th XTC since you made your offer. Gotta say the crunch does sound more crunchy and to my liking than the Shiva did.

Gotta disagree with you on the Cornford thing though. My Hellcat is a magnificent sounding amp. It can be an odd feeling amp in someways though.

Not sure I've even seen an Elmwood for sale before.

Definitely feel you on the speaker importance though. I've got greenbacks and V30's here.
cannonsofsteel
Gig Master
Gig Master

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mk 50h is probably the best tone ive ever had
Georgy
Gig Ready
Gig Ready

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So take this for example..

Hereís a 4 channel beast of an amp, with midi (so an Axe FX/Line 6 Helix Ė any midi device can change the channels and/switch on/off various FX and FX parameters..), 120w, half power switch, slightly smaller head shell/chassis, Mercury Magnetics transformers, point to point turret etc, and all the bells and whistles youíd expect from an amp like this, which is locally Melbourne-made. It does everything Iíd want it to, and it sounds unbelievable. Oh, and for a clean-to-hi-gain amp, even on Ch 4, it's super quiet.

Channel description:
Ch 1 = Fender cleans, to break-up point (think Hells Bells)
Ch 2 = Friedman BE-territory/AC/DC territory/Bogner XTC Blue territory
Ch 3 = Friedman HBE-territory/Bogner XTC Red with Boost
Ch 4 = Friedman Butterslax melt-your-face if you want territory
Lots of clarity and articulation all channels.

The general stores out there wouldnít have an off-the-shelf amp like this, but it has some of the best flavours of the best amps Iíve ever owned and played.

Iíve owned two Bogner XTCs, Friedman BE100, 3 x different H&K amps, 2 x different ENGL amps and a few others in the mix. They are ALL different flavours or variations of good, and they will all do a bloody good job, no matter what. That also depends on how you would run it, how you play, whether you play in band, and so forth. FACT. My friendís Jet City JCA100 (I think it is), which is an amp that is sub $1000 would easily go toe-to-toe with any of these amps. Again, itís how you use it and how you play it, BUT, I hate to say this, it also comes down to band mix too.. In a typical rock/hard rock band mix, you _canít really tell_ which is which if both volumes of both amps are roughly the same. The guitarist in my band uses a Mesa Roadster and I use an AX8 + power amp.. Between us, you canít tell which the 'real' amp and which is the digital rig. FACT.

The long and short of it isÖ my amp brings all the milkshakes to the yardÖ..

PowersOf
Rehearsing
Rehearsing

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting amp. Looked it up. Seems new so not much info. Definitely no clips as far as I can see yet. Actually looks really cool too. Good to see another quality Melbourne builder. We seem to have had quite a surprising number of amp makers.
evh0u812
Gig Ready
Gig Ready

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.instagram.com/p/BNwEKLkj53t/

Dave Leslie of Baby Animals fame is rocking Melbourne Amp Co gear now.
This is basically channel one and two from Georgy's amp I believe.

Georgy's 1204 means 120w 4 ch
Dave 602 is 60w 2 ch.
jdbl
Gig Master
Gig Master

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those Melbourne Amp Co amps are legit. I played one at Don's place and it was instant Blackface/Voxy/vintage Goldentone all over. Great stuff.

My main amp was a late 70's JMP 2203 with a Klon goosing it, into a 4x12 with Scumback M75's. Killer rig, but the cleans were ordinary.
Then I picked up a Mesa MKIII. Lush cleans. Channel 2 is good. Lead channel is ridiculously good.
And now as mentioned I have a SLO, which does the more polished high gain Marshally thing better than any amp I've had.

Channel 1, I set to crunch. Incredible JCM800 style tone, without the pushed high mid range crushed glass thing. The Lead channel is mental. So raw, so refined, so chewy.
These days I have channel 1 on crunch, with minimal gain so there's some compression on the cleans. I use an old Bixonic Expandora for mid gain. Then the Lead channel for heavy rhythm and boosted with the Expandora for liquid lead sounds.

I haven't heard one single amp do clean, crunch and filth as well as I'd like.
Every triple channel head I've tried compromises somewhere.

Speakers and cabs play an ENORMOUS part in this too.

Repairs, custom work, one off's and modifications.

delaneyeffects also on Facebook
PowersOf
Rehearsing
Rehearsing

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jdbl wrote:
Those Melbourne Amp Co amps are legit. I played one at Don's place and it was instant Blackface/Voxy/vintage Goldentone all over. Great stuff.

My main amp was a late 70's JMP 2203 with a Klon goosing it, into a 4x12 with Scumback M75's. Killer rig, but the cleans were ordinary.
Then I picked up a Mesa MKIII. Lush cleans. Channel 2 is good. Lead channel is ridiculously good.
And now as mentioned I have a SLO, which does the more polished high gain Marshally thing better than any amp I've had.

Channel 1, I set to crunch. Incredible JCM800 style tone, without the pushed high mid range crushed glass thing. The Lead channel is mental. So raw, so refined, so chewy.
These days I have channel 1 on crunch, with minimal gain so there's some compression on the cleans. I use an old Bixonic Expandora for mid gain. Then the Lead channel for heavy rhythm and boosted with the Expandora for liquid lead sounds.

I haven't heard one single amp do clean, crunch and filth as well as I'd like.
Every triple channel head I've tried compromises somewhere.

Speakers and cabs play an ENORMOUS part in this too.

The thing with me is I love treble. It seems I'm in the minority with that. I get off on playing crunch tones in a real bright way. But yeah then going to a higher gain tone with an amp set up that way it doesn't seem to work.

I have noticed in a lot of guys demos of their rig they seem to have WAY more bass going than I use. Everyone seems to love that super thick lower mid and bass sound when going high gain. I tend to like tighter and brighter I think. I do tend to "noodle" and play leads a lot though.

I also love "character" in an amp tone. Sometimes even to the detriment of ease of playing. Like one of the funnest amps I played recently was a Magnatone Super 59. Just such "characterful" tones. Obviously not gonna have much fun trying to shred on it though.
citizen-erased
Gig Ready
Gig Ready

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Georgy wrote:
So take this for example..

Hereís a 4 channel beast of an amp, with midi (so an Axe FX/Line 6 Helix Ė any midi device can change the channels and/switch on/off various FX and FX parameters..), 120w, half power switch, slightly smaller head shell/chassis, Mercury Magnetics transformers, point to point turret etc, and all the bells and whistles youíd expect from an amp like this, which is locally Melbourne-made. It does everything Iíd want it to, and it sounds unbelievable. Oh, and for a clean-to-hi-gain amp, even on Ch 4, it's super quiet.

Channel description:
Ch 1 = Fender cleans, to break-up point (think Hells Bells)
Ch 2 = Friedman BE-territory/AC/DC territory/Bogner XTC Blue territory
Ch 3 = Friedman HBE-territory/Bogner XTC Red with Boost
Ch 4 = Friedman Butterslax melt-your-face if you want territory
Lots of clarity and articulation all channels.

The general stores out there wouldnít have an off-the-shelf amp like this, but it has some of the best flavours of the best amps Iíve ever owned and played.

Iíve owned two Bogner XTCs, Friedman BE100, 3 x different H&K amps, 2 x different ENGL amps and a few others in the mix. They are ALL different flavours or variations of good, and they will all do a bloody good job, no matter what. That also depends on how you would run it, how you play, whether you play in band, and so forth. FACT. My friendís Jet City JCA100 (I think it is), which is an amp that is sub $1000 would easily go toe-to-toe with any of these amps. Again, itís how you use it and how you play it, BUT, I hate to say this, it also comes down to band mix too.. In a typical rock/hard rock band mix, you _canít really tell_ which is which if both volumes of both amps are roughly the same. The guitarist in my band uses a Mesa Roadster and I use an AX8 + power amp.. Between us, you canít tell which the 'real' amp and which is the digital rig. FACT.

The long and short of it isÖ my amp brings all the milkshakes to the yardÖ..

i want one of these.
evh0u812
Gig Ready
Gig Ready

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then id be messaging George...... Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    :: AUSBAND :: Forum Index -> For Sale/Wanted Items All times are GMT + 11 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: