Create an account

Consignment Sales @ Pony Music

MELBAND: Forums

:: AUSBAND :: :: View topic - Schroeder Frequency? RT60?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Schroeder Frequency? RT60?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SweetSweetRevenge
Rehearsing
Rehearsing

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 12:12 am    Post subject: Schroeder Frequency? RT60? Reply with quote

Hey guys, just a quick question.

In order to determine a rooms Schroeder Frequency, the RT60 must be sourced first. Fair play.

I'm just curious as to what relevance the rooms reverberation time has in order to determine the rooms Schroeder Frequency.

Cheers

George
Davem
Gig Ready
Gig Ready

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i was confused when you wrote this. I did of googling and I think its just that, generally speaking, reverb times of single tones above the shroeder freq will be fairly even whereas reverb times of single tones below the shroeder freq will be fairly wildly different?
I may have it confused
GAM

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old thread, but just in case anyone who reads this wants to know. The Schroeder Frequency is where room modes are bunched so closely that they're no longer seen as resonant peaks. It is the approximate boundary between reverberant room behaviour (frequencies above Schroeder) and room modes (frequencies below Schroeder). The formula is:

Fs = 2000(RT60/v)^0.5

where:
Fs = Frequency Schroeder in Hz
RT60 = Average RT60 and RT60 being the time it takes reverberation to drop by 60dB
v = Volume of the room LxWxH in m^2 (meters squared)

The trick is to not over think things too much. High frequencies you're worrying about reflections and the geometric behaviour of the room, and low frequencies you're worrying about room modes.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    :: AUSBAND :: Forum Index -> Pro-Audio All times are GMT + 11 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: